Fut Hair Transplant: How It Works, Is It Safe?
Updated At 18 Dec 23
Fut hair transplant is one of the trendiest types of transplants that is being used for complex hair transplantation in people. It is important to do proper research before choosing any hair transplant procedure and thus, we have gathered all the information from answering what is Fut hair transplant to what are its side effects. From its full procedure to fut hair transplantation scar, so, if you have any doubts or queries about the procedure, read the following to understand Fut hair transplant easily!
Table of Contents
FUT Hair Transplant
Fut hair transplantation is an acronym for Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT). It's a popular hair restoration procedure. The procedure can be used alone or along with a combination of FUE processes as well. The process is also known as the “Strip Procedure” or “Strip Harvesting” in the industry as during the transplantation, a hair strip of the scalp is removed. It is usually done from the back or sides of the hair of the head. After that, that strip is dissected into singular follicular units. Then it gets transplanted into the head of the recipient where the person has seen hair loss.
Along with FUT, another option which has been very popular has been FUE hair transplant process. Do check out our guide here as we list out all the details.
How FUT Hair Transplant Works
The process of Fut Hair Transplant is not that complicated and because of its highly successful outcome, it has become the topmost choice for hair transplant procedures between people. There are three main steps to go through. Here is the Fut Hair transplant procedure:
1. Strip removal: The professional will remove a strip of scalp from a non-permanent area of the head. This area is generally the back of the head as it is naturally the best area where hair growth is the highest. The size of the strip is around an average of 1-1.5, cm of the donor area. But, eventually, the length will depend on the requirement of hair follicles.
2. Dissection of the strip: The acquired hair strip will go into the process of dissection into different individuals' grafts. They can carry 1-4 hair follicles. These are now ready to be transplanted into tiny incisions made in the recipient area.
3. Graft placement: The doctor will now place the person’s taken grafts into the area where hair is removed in a natural-looking pattern.
After the hair transplantation process is done, there is time for recovery. The hair will start to grow after some months that is estimated to be around 6 to 9 months. For some, it can take upto an year to finally see their growth. After the hair transplant is done, some people may get swelling on the head, Fut hair transplant scar, and other side effects.
FUT results: New hair growth typically begins within a few months, and it can take up some time to see the final results. FUT often provides permanent and natural-looking hair restoration, so it is worth the wait.
FUT Hair Transplant cost USA is around average between $4,000 and $15,000. Please note that the cost depends upon the number of grafts suggested by the doctor. FUT cost is way less than other similar processes like FUE and Robotic Transplantation. If one check's Elon Musk's hair transformation, it is clear that he has undergone a hair transplant. Our guide list's out how many times his complete story alongwith the details of his FUT process.
FUT Hair Transplant Before And After
The Fut hair transplant has become a popular choice for a reason. The process is usually permanent and uses your hair for hair restoration. There have been great results seen in many successful cases around the globe.
Advantages of FUT Hair Transplant
The FUT process is recommended for people who have large areas in need of hair loss. Here are some benefits of the Fut Hair Transplant:
1. Long-lasting hair transplant: The FUT process’s main advantage is that it is said to be permanent and thus, the person won't have to go through the hair transplantation process again from time to time in the future if their process is done in the right way. This is because the hair follicles that have been stripped and added for restoration usually grow naturally at the hair loss area.
2. Harvesting a huge number of grafts in a single session: A huge benefit for an individual would be that in a particular session while the strip removal process is going on, mature and healthy natural hair is taken just in a single session!
3. Better coverage: The procedure is said to provide hair coverage around the area where it is done.
One reviewer while differentiating between FUE and Fut, said in favor of FUT:-
“Transaction rate loss has traditionally been better due to the use of microscopes for strip dissection. With FUE, only sorting is done with microscopes. Excisions with FUE are done with loupes which don't have the magnification power of strip dissection under microscopes”.
4. Less invasive procedure: The FUT technique generally results in less scarring compared to other hair transplant methods.
5. Less Costly: In most areas around the world, Follicular Unit Transplantation costs about one-third of the other hair transplantation processes like FUE.
6. Less Operation Time: The FUT process takes around 4-8 hours which is less in comparison to other hair transplantation processes. Other processes like FUE take a day for the process of transportation.
Side Effects Of FUT
As much as the process is appreciated for its advantages, Fut hair transplantation has its pros and cons like everything in the world.
Here are some drawbacks that it has:
1. Scarring: In some cases, the scar that happens during the process of hair extraction from the back of the head can result in a visible scar that may not be covered with the side consequenting hair. This Fut scar is one of its most common side effects that makes people question the process. This scar can fade in the future but won't vanish forever.
2. Discomfort: After the Fue procedure, the patient may feel a little sore and tender around the area where the process has taken place for some days.
3. Takes time to show growth: The patients are said to wait around 3 months to a year after the hair transplantation from when the process will start to work. This time limit is a little longer than other transportation process like FUE
4. Surgical risks: It is common for a surgical procedure to have some risks like infection, bleeding, and other similar processes that may happen.
Q. Is there any alternative for Fut Hair Transplant?
Yes, people can go for Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). Another hair transplant is another common hair transplant method. The process involves extracting follicular units from the scalp but not with a strip as it happens in the FUT process. This transplantation usually doesn't have any hair transplant scar fut scar but costs more than FUT. They can also opt for Robotic Hair Transplantation.
Q. Is FUT Hair Transplant Permanent?
Yes, typically, FUT hair transplant provides permanent results. Few individuals who undergo FUT opt for another FUE transplant to conceal the linear scar resulting from the FUT process.
The Fut Process is considered to be worth it as it gives permanent results with a non-invasive process, less costs, and other benefits. But, always remember to have a consultation with a qualified professional to go over your situation and options. Each Individual is different and after meeting with a professional, you can decide what's best for you.