What Is Buccal Fat Removal - Pros, Cons, Cost, FAQs (Full Guide)
Updated At 20 Jul 23
Looking at ways to amp up your beauty? Want to somehow get rid of the stubborn cheek fat? If yes, we have got you covered.
Buccal fat removal has been one of the most sought after procedures to remove face fat from the cheeks. Many popular celebrities like Chrissy Teigen, Bella Hadid have gone for it as well. Check out the complete list of buccal fat removal celebrities to find out all the popular names who have gone for this procedure.
In our guide, we unravel all the details about buccal fat removal surgery including pros, cons, cost, FAQs to help you get all the information!
Buccal Fat Removal Guide
- What Is Buccal Fat?
- Buccal Fat Removal Procedure
- Pros And Cons Of Buccal Fat Removal Surgery
- Process, Risks And Aftercare
- 5 Diet Tips Post Buccal Fat Removal Procedure
- 5 Celebs Who Underwent Buccal Fat Surgery
What is Buccal Fat Removal?
The fat between your cheeks and jawbones is called buccal fat, and it plays a role in shaping the form of your face. Buccal fat reduction surgery is used to remove fat from this region of the face.
While everyone has some buccal fat, some have more than others. The amount of buccal fat is constant from person to person, regardless of gender, and it mostly aids in chewing. This holds true throughout your life, regardless of changes in body composition or weight.
By reducing buccal fat, your face's skeletal structure, notably your cheekbones and the hollowed-out regions between your cheeks and jaw line, will become more visible. Another name for this procedure is a cheek reduction.
Nose job, eyebrow upliftment, jawline corrections, lip fillers are few of the popular procedures for making the face more beautiful.
Buccal Fat Removal Process
In the course of your process, you can anticipate:
- To make sure you don't feel any pain, a local anesthetic will be administered to numb the skin on your face. While you are conscious, the procedure will be performed. You might be given general anesthesia if many procedures are being done simultaneously. If you choose to have general anesthesia, your doctor may ask you to make transportation arrangements for afterward.
- To reveal the buccal fat pads, your plastic surgeon will make a small incision on the inside of your mouth on both sides of your face.
- When the fat pads are fully exposed, your healthcare professional will gently press on them before cutting and removing them.
- Your healthcare professional will then use sutures to seal the incisions. The sutures are frequently soluble.
- After your surgery, your provider will inform you if you need to return for suture removal.
Read More: What Is Brachioplasty
Pros And Cons Of Buccal Fat Removal Surgery
After having found out what is buccal fat removal, and how is it performed, let’s find out if this procedure is worth going through. Let’s talk about the buccal fat removal pros, cons, risks, and side effects.
- Short procedure, lasts < 1 hour
- Slims the face and defines the cheeks
- Incisions are made inside the mouth, causing no visible scarring
- Results that is durable, painless, and secure.
- Minimal downtime of 3-4 days
- A toned face with no obvious scars.
- Cosmetic surgery has benefits for the patient in terms of both psychology and appearance.
- Swelling lasts for about two weeks
- Full results not apparent for 3 months
- Can potentially cause hollow cheeks as you age if overdone
- Risk of cheek asymmetry
- Risk of damaging salivary ducts or rarely, facial nerve damage
Read More: Celebrities With Botox
Buccal Fat Removal Risks
The most crucial thing to be on the lookout for is having too much buccal fat removed, especially if you're still quite young. This is because as you age, your buccal fat pad gradually shrinks and your face starts to shift in shape. In the future, you might have "saggy" or "deflated" cheeks if too much buccal fat is eliminated. It is therefore best to take a cautious approach to your procedure.
- After the procedure, you'll probably have some swelling and bruising for a few days.
- It's possible for the wound to get infected.
- Your face nerves may occasionally be injured, which may cause pain or numbness. The blood veins and nerves that are close to the buccal fat pockets can all be safely avoided, according to Kwon.
- Your outcomes may appear uneven if your surgeon is inexperienced.
Age To Get Buccal Fat Removal
It is typically advised to hold off on buccal fat removal surgery until after the age of 20, as the fat pad continues to expand into our twenties.
Why? While the same baby fat cheeks make our faces appear fuller, this same buccal fat can naturally diminish with age.
As the name implies, our baby fat can make us look more youthful, therefore removing buccal fat too soon might cause your skin's behavior to change too soon.
Buccal fat reduction could offer you a more mature-looking face if you already have a solid bone structure. During your visit, a qualified plastic surgeon will provide advice, but removing buccal fat too soon could make you appear older than you meant to be.
Buccal Fat Removal Procedure Cost
By getting rid of the buccal fat pads, you can trim your cheeks. The sculpted, angular, slimmer cheekbones that arise from this minimally invasive yet permanent surgery. The average price can be as high as $20,000, with other examples seeing costs as low as $2,000. The price for Buccal fat removal surgery will vary depending on factors such as:3
● Geographic locations
● Surgeon's fee
● Hospital or surgical facility costs
● Anesthesia fees (general anesthesia typically costs more than local anesthesia)3
● Prescription medications
● Medical tests and X-rays
5 Diet Tips Post Buccal Fat Removal Procedure
For effective healing and recovery following buccal fat removal surgery, a suitable diet must be followed. Following these dietary suggestions will help you recover from surgery:
● Eat Soft Foods: Soft foods that are simple to chew and swallow should be consumed. Foods like mashed potatoes, oats, smoothies, soups, and steamed veggies are acceptable for the patient to eat. Avoid items that may aggravate the incision region, such as hard, crunchy, or spicy meals.
● Keep Hydrated: After surgery, it's critical to consume lots of water to stay hydrated. To keep your body hydrated, you can also sip on herbal teas, coconut water, and fresh juices.
● Avoiding alcohol and caffeine is advised for a few days following surgery since they can dehydrate the body and slow the healing process.
● Consume Nutrient-Dense Foods: A balanced diet rich in nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains, will aid in the speedy recovery of your body following surgery. These foods supply important antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that aid in healing and recuperation.
● Take Supplements: The surgeon can advise taking vitamins C, E, and zinc as a way to strengthen the immune system and hasten the healing process
Celebrities Who Have Had Buccal Fat Removal
Many celebrities have had a buccal fat removal surgery for both medical as well as cosmetic reasons. But not all of them are upfront about it.
Here are some of the most famous ones with their buccal fat removal before and after profiles:
1) Khloe Kardashian
The reality television personality has been transparent about her experience having cosmetic procedures, such as buccal fat reduction. Khloe got the treatment to get a smaller face and a more defined jawline.
2) Megan Fox
In addition to having buccal fat removed, Megan Fox is renowned for having beautiful features. She was able to achieve a more angular and defined face structure thanks to the operation.
3) Chrissy Teigen
Model and television personality Chrissy Teigen Chrissy Teigen disclosed that she had buccal fat removed in order to improve the appearance of her face. The treatment helped her achieve the sculpted face and high cheekbones that are her trademarks.
4) Angelina Jolie
This Hollywood legend is said to have had buccal fat removed in order to enhance the shape of her face. Her dramatically accentuated cheekbones are thought to be a result of the treatment.
5) Bella Hadid
Fans and experts alike believe the attractive supermode's flawlessly sculpted cheeks may be the product of this modest yet effective technique for buccal fat removal.
Buccal Fat Removal Procedure Healing Time
Your healthcare professional will provide you with instructions on how to speed up healing after your treatment. It's crucial to adhere to the after-care recommendations provided by your doctor, including any follow-up appointments. The recovery period following this treatment typically lasts three weeks, but it will take many months to see the full effects.
Within the first two weeks, the swelling begins to decrease, and over the following six months, it considerably decreases. Three weeks following the treatment, the bruising and redness start to go away.
For at least six weeks following the treatment, you must take gentle care of your nose and closely adhere to the aftercare guidelines.
FAQs On Buccal Fat Removal
1) Is having buccal fat removed painful?
During the procedure, general anesthesia is administered to you. You will experience some minor pain following the procedure, for which your doctor will give medicine.
2) When can one see the results of buccal fat removal?
Results from buccal fat reduction can be seen about 2-3 weeks after the treatment and keep getting better for 6–9 months. You notice that your face is starting to look smaller and more sculpted throughout that period. Even the fittest people cannot get that youthful, slimmer appearance by exercise, thus this is frequently utilized to accomplish it.
3) How long does buccal fat removal last?
The results are permanent.The fat does not return and the transfer results in permanent volume and increased upper facial volume, providing that natural, beautiful, heart-shaped look. After surgery, the excised buccal fat does not grow back. There are other fat deposits in this area of the face, though, and a big weight increase could make them enlarge and reduce the efficiency of the buccal fat reduction surgery.
4) Does buccal fat diminish with aging?
No! With age, buccal fat can actually rise... I've done this surgery on individuals in their 70s, and it's astounding how much cheek fat they may still have at that age.
5) How much does a buccal fat removal cost in the US and UK?
A buccal fat removal operation in the US can cost between $6000 and $9,000. It is suggested that you check your insurance coverage first because some of them will cover the price of the surgery. In the UK, the NHS will pay for this treatment if it is performed for medical reasons; but, if it is performed for cosmetic reasons, you must go to a private clinic, where the cost would likely range from £4,500 to £9,000.