What Is Hollywood Waxing - Detailed Guide (2022)
Updated At 01 Jan 22
Do you know what Hollywood waxing is? Are you interested in getting Hollywood waxing, but still confused about it? Then, allow us to come to your rescue with our detailed guide on Hollywood waxing.
Hollywood Wax Bikini - Detailed Guide
The debate has been going on for years—to keep the bush or not to keep it. The media’s obsession with a hairless pubic area in women gave rise to several different kinds of bikini waxing styles.
This whole thing about bikini waxing can feel exciting, intimidating, and confusing all at the same time. And truth be told, it is not your fault. There are many different bikini wax types. Plus, someone gets all in your *private business*. Of course, it feels overwhelming. But, don’t you worry, we have got you covered.
If Hollywood waxing is your preferred choice of poison, then here we are with a complete guide on it to help you make an informed decision. This article covers everything on Hollywood waxing that you might need for your next salon visit. We answer your queries on What is Hollywood waxing, its procedure, cost details, pros, cons, and side effects along with some of the most frequently asked questions. This is one of the most popular bikini wax types across the world and you will understand the reasons for the same.
Let’s get started!
What Is Hollywood Waxing?
Of all the bikini waxing types, if any style has gained popularity in the same league as that of a Brazilian wax, it has to be the Hollywood waxing style. If you are a regular candidate for a bikini wax or even someone who is remotely interested, then these terms must mean something to you. But, be it Brazilian or the Hollywood, it is confusing. What exactly is the deal with these? What even is Hollywood waxing?
The Hollywood waxing style has emerged as one of the most popular bikini wax styles for women. However, it was not always the case. It all began with the advent of the modern bikini which prompted the bikini wax—a regular clean-up on the sides of the bikini line. Slowly, the bikini bottoms became narrower and so did the area of hair left on and around the bikini area.
It was ultimately in the 1970s that the representation of women in porn and magazines such as Playboy put focus on the bikini area. As the 1980s approached, the poor innocent bush got much short until it stopped existing altogether. And voila, Hollywood waxing was born. Its name comes from its popularity amongst Hollywood celebs.
Being hairless down there was cited as being more attractive, desirable, clean, and hygienic. More and more women were tempted to get it. Hollywood waxing became a go-to choice for hundreds of thousands of women across the globe. It continues to dominate the bikini waxing scene of today.
In Hollywood wax bikini area is cleaned of all the pubic hair. Yes, all! The Hollywood waxing style removes hair from the front, back, around the labia, butthole, upper thighs, and between the legs. It is like a next step to the Brazilian and definitely not for the faint-hearted.
How Is Hollywood Waxing Done: Preparation And Procedure
A full session of Hollywood waxing can take about 40 minutes. Here is how you can prepare for it and what goes on during the procedure:
- You need your hair to be a certain length for getting them waxed. They must be at least 1/4th of an inch. So, stop any other hair removal down there till you get that length
- Always remember, longer hair can be trimmed but short hair cannot be grown before your waxing appointment
- Indulge in some gentle exfoliation a few days more. Nothing abrasive
- Take a warm shower but not immediately before your appointment. Remember it has to be warm and not scalding hot. Lukewarm water will help ease out the Hollywood waxing process
- Ensure that the intended area that needs to be waxed via the Hollywood is clean which means put extra focus on cleaning your labia, upper thighs, between the legs, and around your butthole
- Wear cotton underwear and top it up with loose and airy bottoms on the day of your waxing appointment
- You can take a mild pain-relieving medicine like ibuprofen about 30 minutes before your waxing appointment
- If you are on your periods, then call the salon/facility beforehand to confirm if it is okay with them. Wear a tampon if they are
The following steps form the part of a Hollywood waxing procedure:
- The technician will ask you to remove your clothes from below your waist and then lie down on the table
- Next, they will discuss with you the waxing style you want. This is the last time where you must confirm with the technician your preferred choice of waxing style and what you are expecting from it
- The technician will then clean the entire area that has to be waxed with wipes
- After cleansing, some oil or powder is applied to the area to be waxed. This is a pre-wax treatment that is applied to protect your skin from any potential damage and hurt that could be caused by the procedure
- A coat of hot wax is applied. Once it has cooled down and hardened, the technician will hold your skin taut and remove the hardened wax in a swift motion
- The above step would be repeated till all the hair is removed. In Hollywood waxing, it means the hair in the front of the pubic area, around your labia, upper thighs, and butthole as well as in between the legs
- Chances are that waxing won’t take off all the hair and some stray hair would be left behind. These will be removed with the help of tweezers
- Once the hair removal is done, the technician will wipe off the area and apply a soothing cream or serum
Hollywood Waxing What To Expect
You might feel a bit awkward if it is your first time. But, don’t worry. This is a perfectly normal procedure and something that the technician has to deal with daily.
The next thing to expect, whether a beginner or not, is pain. Yes, Hollywood wax is painful. Of course, it is since you are practically getting hair ripped out from the very sensitive pubic area. The amount of pain also varies from person to person depending upon their personal pain threshold. It would also get bearable as you become a regular at bikini waxing. You can take a pain reliever to further ease it.
Get ready to feel like a plucked-out chicken immediately after Hollywood waxing. Your skin would be tender and sensitive. It might look red and irritated. In some cases, you might also notice tiny red bumps. All these symptoms subside within a day or two and you can get to appreciate your smooth bikini area.
Hollywood Waxing Aftercare
You must keep in mind the following things as part of your Hollywood waxing aftercare:
- Wear loose bottoms
- Do not take a bath at least for the first 24 hours after the waxing procedure
- You must also avoid sexual activities at least for the first 24 hours
- Use an ice pack and/or aloe vera gel to soothe redness and inflammation
- Cortisone cream can also be applied to soothe the bikini area
- Do not indulge in any other physical activity including swimming, dancing, exercise, or any other activity that exposes your bikini area to sun and sweat at least for the first 24 hours or till the inflammation and redness subsides
- Also, avoid sauna and tanning beds till your skin has fully healed
- Gently exfoliate the bikini area two days after the Hollywood waxing
- Never ever scratch the skin despite the strong urges
- Once your skin has healed, use a gentle exfoliator every two days to prevent ingrown hair
Hollywood Wax Cost
The cost of Hollywood waxing depends on several factors including the location of the salon, its reputation, the qualifications of the technician, type of wax used among others. You can expect to shell out anywhere between $40 and $120 as the Hollywood wax cost.
How Long Does A Hollywood Wax Last?
Like any other standard bikini waxing style, a Hollywood wax would last you about 4 to 6 weeks. It would also highly depend on how fast your hair grows and thus, can vary from person to person.
Who Can Get A Hollywood Wax And Who Cannot?
Hollywood waxing like any other form of waxing is generally considered safe. But if you fall are on antibiotics, oral acne medications, topical retinoid, hormonal birth control, hormonal replacement therapy, and chemotherapy among others, please consult your doctor. The same goes for pregnant women. Consult your gynecologist before booking an appointment with the salon.
Is Hollywood Waxing Worth It—Its Pros, Cons, And Side Effects
By now, you have learned quite a lot about Hollywood waxing – Hollywood waxing what is it, how is it done, what to expect from it, and how much it costs among other things. So, the time has come to answer the biggest question of the day: Is it really worth it? And to answer that, let’s dive into the pros, cons, and side effects of Hollywood waxing.
- Longer lasting results
- Regular waxing reduces hair density
- Exfoliates skin
- Hair regrowth is soft and thin
- Relatively less irritating hair removal method
- No more razor burns, cuts, or stubbly regrowth
- Can be uncomfortable for some
- Relatively expensive
- Hair needs to be a certain length to be waxed
- Can cause ingrown hair
Following are some of the most common side effects of Hollywood waxing:
- Sore skin
- Inflammation and redness
- Skin bumps
In rare cases:
- Genital burns
- Severe skin irritation
- Risk of STIs and other bacterial infections
Things To Keep In Mind
Here are some more things that you must keep in mind before booking that Hollywood waxing session:
- Choose a salon that maintains good hygiene and employs technicians who have the requisite qualifications and training
- Ask your friends or check out the reviews before finalizing a place
- Discuss what you want with the technician
- If there is confusion regarding names, then tell them what exactly you are looking for. Better discuss beforehand than be sorry later
- If you see the technician double dip the spatula, run! This is not the salon for you or anyone else for that matter
- Postpone your waxing plans if you are menstruating. Your skin is extra sensitive during this time which means more pain and discomfort than usual
- If you are ready to fight the skin sensitivity and discomfort of your menstruating days, then make sure to call the salon beforehand and ask if they offer their bikini waxing services to those who are menstruating currently
- Always wear a fresh tampon or menstrual cup
- Ask for hard wax as it may help in pain reduction
- Always go to a reputable salon that follows strict hygiene protocols
Hollywood Waxing vs Brazilian Waxing
There are several different bikini waxing types and knowing all of their names can get confusing. It gets especially difficult in the case of Brazilian and Hollywood waxing. Both are often confused with one another but let us ensure you they are two very different bikini waxing styles.
In Brazilian waxing, hair is removed from the frontal pubic area, thighs, labia, butthole and you can generally choose to keep a bit of hair in the front. You can call this the modest sister of Hollywood waxing as the Hollywood waxing style includes hair removal that leaves you entirely bare and goes from the front to between the legs, and also to your backside.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do you prepare for a Hollywood wax?
Take a lukewarm shower on the day of your appointment but not immediately before, gently exfoliate a day before, wear cotton underwear and loose bottoms, take a pain reliever and you are all set for a Hollywood wax.
Q. Is Hollywood waxing at home possible?
Yes, Hollywood waxing at home is possible but it is still recommended that you visit a professional.
Q. What would Hollywood waxing aftercare comprise of?
As part of Hollywood waxing aftercare avoid certain activities including showering, sex, swimming, dancing, sauna, tanning, exercise, or any other activity that exposes you to sun or sweat for at least the first 24 hours or till the redness and inflammation subside. Wear loose bottoms. Do not scratch your skin. Use aloe gel or cortisone cream to soothe skin.
Q. Hollywood waxing what is it?
Hollywood waxing means the complete removal of hair from your bikini area including the front of the pubic region, labia, between the legs, upper thighs, backside, and butthole.
Q. What to expect after Hollywood waxing?
You can expect pain, redness, inflammation, and in some cases small red bumps immediately after Hollywood waxing. It generally subsides within a day or two and is nothing to worry about.
Q. What precautions to take after Hollywood waxing?
Follow the Hollywood waxing aftercare tips and avoid swimming, showering, sex, Jacuzzi, exercise, and similar activities for at least 24 hours after getting the Hollywood wax.
Q. Hollywood waxing Vs Brazilian - What’s the difference?
The difference between the two is mainly that in Brazilian, some hair is left in the front whereas in the Hollywood, all the hair is removed from your pubic region and it also removes hair from between your legs which is usually not the case in the Brazilian.
Q. Does Hollywood waxing hurt?
Yes, it is painful. You can take a pain reliever 30 minutes before your waxing appointment, ask for hard wax at the salon, do not shower immediately before going for the appointment, and do not get waxed while menstruating to reduce the pain you might feel.