Microdermabrasion Facial Guide – Types, Pros, Cons And Side Effects
Updated At 14 Sep 22
Do you want to know more about Microdermabrasion facial?
There are multiple treatments both natural and cosmetic to treat the myriad of skin woes. One such treatment is microdermabrasion which has attained immense popularity over the years.
Our guide on Microdermabrasion facial covers all the details you might want to know before going ahead with this procedure.
We specifically cover the following:
- What is microdermabrasion facial
- Types of microdermabrasion facial
- Pros and cons of this facial type
- How is it done
- Precautions before the procedure
- Who can get it
- Things to check before getting it
What Is Microdermabrasion Facial?
Microdermabrasion facial is like plaque removal but for your skin. It is one of the most popular machine assisted exfoliating treatments.
This facial is a non-invasive cosmetic treatment to be done by a professional.
In Microdermabrasion facial treatment, a stream of fine crystals is sprayed with the help of a machine to abrade the superficial layer of skin. These minor abrasions are interpreted by the body as injuries and it works extra time to produce new skin cells.
The collagen production gets a boost and voila you get new healthy flawless skin. It is the newest and smartest way to rejuvenate your skin.
Types Of Microdermabrasion facial
Microdermabrasion facial treatment is mostly of three types:
Crystal microdermabrasion is still quite prevalent. In this facial treatment, crystals of aluminum oxide or sodium bicarbonate are sprayed to abrade skin.
2) Diamond Tip
Facial microdermabrasion with a diamond tip is considered better than the spraying of crystals as there won’t be any risk of inhaling the crystals or of crystals falling into eyes. This treatment uses a rough diamond tipped wand to gently remove the superficial layer of skin.
3) At Home
Microdermabrasion facial can be done at home using the microdermabrasion kits manufactured by leading cosmetic companies like Ponds and Neutrogena. These at home kits are cheaper than but not as effective as the microdermabrasion facial given by a professional.
Before you can get a microdermabrasion facial, you will be asked to follow some do’s and don’ts. The most common one’s are:
- Avoid sun exposure, use of tanning creams and waxing about a week before your microdermabrasion facial treatment.
- Stop using any exfoliating cream, mask or treatment about three days before your microdermabrasion facial treatment.
How Is Microdermabrasion Facial Done?
Microdermabrasion facial steps:
- The specialist will start by cleaning your face to remove any and all impurities and makeup.
- You will be given protective gear to cover your eyes.
- The skin is stretched to create tension in order to get the most out of facial microdermabrasion.
- Microdermabrasion facial uses a hand held device which has a pump, a connecting tube and a vacuum. The pump creates a high pressure stream of tiny crystals to abrade the skin’s surface. Mostly the crystals of aluminum oxide, magnesium oxide and sodium chloride are used. This high speed jet of crystals sands off the superficial layer of skin and removes the dead skin cells. The vacuum on the other hand suctions away the crystals as well as the dead skin cells. The crystals are sometimes replaced with a diamond tipped wand.
- Small portions are covered one by one. The hand held piece is moved over a specific part of skin again and again to get the desired result. Usually two to four times is sufficient.
- Your skin’s sensitivity and tolerance capacity influence the speed and pressure of vacuum.
- After completing the procedure, topical creams are applied onto the skin. This is because facial microdermabrasion improves blood circulation and increases the skin’s moisture absorbing power.
Who Can Get A Microdermabrasion Facial?
Microdermabrasion facial is used to target multiple skin problems. You can get a microdermabrasion facial if you have:
- Dull skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Mild acne marks
- Enlarged pores
- Minor wrinkles and fine lines
- Age spots
- Sun damage
- Pick marks
- Superficial scars
- And other superficial skin problems
You should not undergo microdermabrasion facial treatment if you have:
- Severe acne
- Cystic acne
- Skin inflammation
- Active sunburn
- Widespread acne and
- Open sores
This is because the exfoliating action used in this facial treatment can aggravate your already existing skin issue even further.
Is It Worth It - Pros, Cons And Side Effects
Let’s talk about the microdermabrasion facial benefits, disadvantages and microdermabrasion facial side effects.
Microdermabrasion Facial Benefits
There are various benefits of microdermabrasion facial. The select few include the following.
- Less invasive
- Comparatively safer
- Improves skin texture
- Smoothens skin
- Evens out skin tone
- Removes fine lines and superficial wrinkles
- Reduces oiliness
- Minimizes the appearance of large pores
- Removes superficial scars and marks
- Fast recovery
- Cost effective
Microdermabrasion Facial Disadvantages
There are a few cons of microdermabrasion facial as well.
- Can’t treat severe cystic acne
- Does not remove all scars
- Only removes superficial wrinkles
- Has to be done within 3 years of scarring to be effective
- Effectiveness decreases as age increases
- No immediate change
- Can lead to bruising
Microdermabrasion Facial Side Effects
Minor side effects include:
- Possible skin tightness
- Minor bruising
- Skin sensitivity
Major side effects:
- Small abrasions
- Post inflammation hyperpigmentation
- Bleeding spots
- Severe inflammation
- Eye skin bruising
Things To Keep In Mind
- Always consult a professional before undergoing a microdermabrasion facial.
- Talk honestly about your medical history, allergies and procedures that you had received in the past.
- Get microdermabrasion facial from a licensed expert only
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is microdermabrasion facial safe?
Yes, facial microdermabrasion is completely safe as well as painless. To make it safer, get this facial done by a trained professional.
Q. Which is the right age to get a microdermabrasion facial?
There is no age limit to the microdermabrasion facial treatment. Children above the age of 12 years and adults till the age of 65 years can get this facial. With mature skin the risk of bruising increases and that is why microdermabrasion is not recommended over 65 years of age.
Q. how much longer will its effects last?
As the skin cells renew themselves every 30 days or so, the effects of a microdermabrasion facial will last for up to four weeks.
Q. How many times do I need to get this treatment?
It depends on your skin and the skin issues you want to target. Usually, three weekly sessions are recommended initially followed by monthly sessions for maintenance.
Q. Can microdermabrasion remove all scars?
No, microdermabrasion facial only removes superficial scars and marks. For deeper scars you should get dermabrasion or chemical peels.
Q. Is microdermabrasion facial only for women?
No, microdermabrasion facial can be done on both men and women.
Q. Is microdermabrasion only effective on facial skin?
No, it is effective for back, neck and hands as well.
Q. Does microdermabrasion facial help with Melasma?
Yes, it is very helpful in Melasma. Benefits increase when you take other precautions along with microdermabrasion facial such as wearing SPF. However, it is not a permanent solution.
Q. Can microdermabrasion facial be done at home?
Yes, it can be done at home with the help of microdermabrasion facial kits which consist of abrasive creams and scrubs. Microdermabrasion clothes are also available which are tightly knit pieces of cloth which remove the surface skin.
Q. Are there any home remedies to get a similar effect?
Yes, there are some. You can use pumice stone, Epsom salts, or sea salts to exfoliate your skin.
Q. Facial Vs Microdermabrasion – What is the difference between the two>
Microdermabrasion is a type of facial. You must however, know the difference between the two:
- Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic procedure whereas facials are natural.
- Facials are multi step and include cleansing, exfoliation, etc. microdermabrasion on the other hand uses only exfoliation
- Facials are a way to pamper your skin. Microdermabrasion is a facial treatment which targets specific skin problems.