Why Exfoliating Your Skin Is Important?
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is the removal of dry and dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. It not only helps in many skin problems but also increases blood circulation which in turn helps in achieving healthy and glowing skin.
Benefits of Exfoliation: As we age, the process of cell regeneration slows down. Which means that the body is slower to shed cells and generate new ones. Below are some of the reasons why exfoliating your skin is important.
- Pigmentation: Pigmentation is the areas which look more darker as compared to rest of our skin tone. This may happen due to age, pregnancy or hormonal imbalances. Exfoliating the pigmented areas help in breaking down those cells and making them fade gradually.
- Dry skin: If you are someone with dry and flakey skin, exfoliation helps in getting rid of that skin and you will have new skin cells. It is important to moisturise the new skin cells post exfoliation.
- Clogged pores: Clogged pores are a result of dirt settling down in the pores which form white heads and black heads. This ultimately causes breakouts. Hence exfoliating skin is important to get rid of that congestion in pores.
- Ingrowing hair: When you get your hands or legs waxed you are pulling the hair from the root. Sometimes the hair cannot pierce through the skin and cause a red spot around the hair. This is an ingrowing hair. Exfoliating the area removes dead skin and allow the hair to break through the skin.
How to Exfoliate?
Below is step by step procedure of how you should exfoliate your skin.
Step 1: Cleanse your face using a face wash
Step 2: Scrub the area gently using a scrub (natural or artificial) in circular motion
Step 3: Wash the area using normal water
Step 4: Moisturise the area thouroughly
Best Homemade Scrubs:
Coffee scrub- Ground coffee (1/4th cup) + Sugar (1/4th cup)+ extra virgin olive oil/ coconut oil ( 2 tablespoons) + Vitamin E capsules (3 nos.)
Lemon and Sugar scrub- Granulated sugar (1 cup) + Lemon juice (1 teaspoon) + olive oil / Almond oil (6 tablespoons)
Oatmeal scrub- Ground Oatmeal (1 tablespoon) + Lemon juice (1 teaspoon) + Yogurt (2 teaspoon)
Baking soda scrub- Baking soda (2 to 3 tablespoons) + Water (as required)
Sugar scrub- White sugar (1 tablespoon) + Honey (just enough to make sugar sticky) or olive oil/ coconut oil
Best Affordable Scrubs available in market:
- Neutrogena deep clean blackhead eliminating daily scrub
- Biotique bio papaya revitalizing tan removal scrub
- Kama ayurveda kumkumadi brightening ayurvedic face scrub
- St. Ives fresh skin apricot face scrub
- Clean and clear blackhead clearing daily scrub
- Himalaya herbals purifying neem scrub
Note: Exfoliation is great but over exfoliation can be harmful. Know your skin and how much Exfoliation is required by it.
I hope this post was helpful. If you know about an amazing homemade scrub, do let me know in the comments below. I love trying out different scrubs.
Keep loving yourself !