Eyebrow Slit Detailed Guide 2023- Pros, Cons, FAQs
trisha sinha roy
Updated At 04 Apr 23
Eyebrow slits have been around for far longer than we know. Even though Gen Z seems to be bringing it back to the trends again, eyebrow slits go far back to the early 80s and 90s hip-hop fashion. Eyebrow slits are subtle and bold and make a great statement if you are willing to pull it off. Eyebrow slits are new and vintage all at the same time and you can decide your vibe by styling it according to the clothes you wear and your own personal aesthetic.
What makes eyebrow slits really preferable is the fact that they are quite easy to do and unlike piercings and tattoos, eyebrow slits grow back to normal and you can do it again whenever you want. Eyebrow slits have become extremely popular once again and not just among hip-hop enthusiasts, but also the punk, punk-rock, goth and grunge crowd. Eyebrow slits are the definition of bold for many goth and grunge kids of the new generation. Do note this is different from eyebrow threading.
Eyebrow slits are quite the interesting choice for a new look so if you have been prowling the internet doing your research on eyebrow slits, we have got you covered with everthing you possibly need to know.
Eyebrow Slit Guide
What is an Eyebrow Slit?
An eyebrow slit is also known as an eyebrow cut. Eyebrow cut meaning is often confused as an injury but that is not what we are talking about here.
Eyebrow slits or eyebrow cuts are clean and thin vertical cuts made across the eyebrows. Usually, eyebrow slits are made near the end of the eyebrow but many people choose to do it in other parts of the eyebrow too.
Most beauty parlours and salons offer eyebrow slits but you can do it ar home too if you are confident enough and are able to take the neccessary precautions beforehand. We will be covering how to DIY an eyebrow slit at home in this article.
If you are interested to find out how to get thick eyebrows then do check out our detailed guide on the same as we list all the 15 top home remedies which would help you to get thicker eyebrows.
Eyebrow Slit Pros
Eyebrow slits have been the deal for a while now. It is indeed an edgy and bold statement and definitely not something that the majority of people would want to do. Unlike its more generic counterparts, an eyebrow cut is a much louder statement. If you are wondering whether you should go for it, here is a list of reasons why you should.
- Eyebrow slit is a super cool trend and is going to set you apart from the crowd. If you carry a goth/punk/grunge aesthetic or sense of fashion, an eyebrow slit is going to be just the thing for you.
- It is not permanent. Of course, eyebrows grow back. So if you get an eyebrow slit, it is most likely to grow back in two or three weeks time. This makes it a safer choice.
It is easily fixable. Eyebrow slits may not be a good in formal situations or certain similar places. In that case, all you need to do is grab an eyebrow pencil and cover the eyebrow slit up. Even mascara works. Same applies if you do not like your eyebrow slit after you have gotten it.
- You can do it at home! Haircuts are easy to mess up but an eyebrow slit is a relatively easier job. You need an eye for detail and some patience to DIY your own eyebrow slit at home and it might cost you absolutely nothing. It also does not take much time and will not be a big mess to clean up.
- It goes really well with eyebrow piercings and accessories. If you have one or more eyebrow piercings, getting an eyebrow slit will give you a hardcore grunge/emo look in the coolest and edgiest of ways.
Check out our guide to find out the best eyebrow slits for men as we list all the popular ones like single, double and triple slit, V shaped, alphabet eyebrow slit ideas and many more.
Eyebrow Slit Cons
If you think about it, eyebrow slits are really convenient and have a lot of bright sides to it. Nonetheless, anything with bright sides will also have its cons. Cons are not meant to keep you from getting eyebrow slits, but here are some of the things that you should keep in mind before getting eyebrow slits.
- Eyebrow slits might not be time consuming like haircuts, but they still take patience and a lot of precision to get it right. You will have to look out for the right amout of thickness and the right place to do it without shaving off excess hair from your eyebrows. If you are someone with no prior experience in such things, it would be best to go to a trained proofessional to get it done.
- Eyebrows are close to the eyes and are a sensitive area. Since eyebrow slits involve shaving using sharp tools, there will always be a slight chance of getting injured. Mostly, such injuries are not major except for some bleeding. However, it might damage how your eyebrows look.
Eyebrow slits are a great good fashion statement, but there exists another side of this coin.
- Eyebrow slit meaning is not the same to everyone. Eyebrow slits are recognised as gang affiliations or symbols in many places and is not received well. This could get a person in trouble if they were to land up in an unfavourable situation like that. Hence, you will have to be aware and concious of such things when you get an eyebrow slit.
Check out our guide to find out the best eyebrow slits for women as we list all the po pular ones trending this year.
How To Get An Eyebrow Slit?
The easiest way to go about this is heading to a salon and getting it done. Eyebrow slits are not very expensive and barely take any time to do and fiinish. On top of that, getting it done by a professional reduces your chances of messing it up or cutting your skin.
However, if you have done similar things earlier and are confident about your skill, you can always do it at home. To DIY your own eyebrow slit, here is what you need to do:
- Step 1: Brush out your eyebrow using a clean brow brush or spoolie.
- Step 2: Choose a spot on your eyebrow where you want to place the slit.
- Step 3: Carefully use two pieces of tape on either side of the exact spot where you want the slit.
- Step 4: Use a razor or a trimmer to shave the place between the tape. Move your razor or trimmer in small motions to create the perfect eyebrow slit.
And there you have your eyebrow slit!
Precautions To Take Before Getting An Eyebrow Slit
Eyebrow slits are simple procedure and do not even take up a lot of time. However, there are certain precautions that you must take before getting into it.
- Make sure the tools you use are clean and sanitary. Strictly avoid using razors/trimmers that do not belong to you.
- Make sure to use the right kind of tape. Do not use a tapewith too strong glue that could rip out hair strands off of your eyebrow. Similarly, do not use tape with barely any glue on it at all. This could displace the tape while you are in the middle of the process and ruin it altogether.
- Make sure to be gentle and shave only as much as required.
- Use an antiseptic liquid in case of a cut.
- Eyebrow slits are often associated to gang culture and violence. Try to make sure that the people aroound you are not offended by such form of self expression.
Check out our guide on eyebrow microblading to find out all the details of its pros and cons along with costs, FAQs, side effects and much more!
Eyebrow Slits History And How It Became Popular
Unknown to many people even in 2022, eyebrow slits are often recognised as the cultural legacy by the hip-hop community back in the 80s who also first popularized eyebrow slits. In fact, the term eyebrow 'slits' is actually not right and only came about when eyebrow slits saw a hike in popularity again around 2018-19. The traditional term for eyebrow slits is 'eyebrow cuts' which is what the hiphop community called it when they came up with it.
Eyebrow slits were extrememly popular throughout the time of the Hip-Hop movement in America during which, many African-American music artists protested against police brutality against their community and expressed their messages through their music. This period also saw the upsurge of many fashion statements that were specifically the brainchildren of the African-American or hip-hop community.
A lotof people believe that the hip-hop movement was what popularized the eyebrow slits after some music icons of those times wore eyebrow cuts while performing such as Big Daddy Kane.
Eyebrow slits once again became popular in the late 2010s after gen z started rediscovering some of the old golds in fashion statements that had boomed in throughout the 80s and 90s. Many other fashion statements like flared jeans and vintage prints also resurfaced with a massive amount of popularity among the new generation. But n0thing could compare to the eyebrow cuts which had a whole era to itself and was even part of a revolutionay movement.
3 Top Eyebrow Slit Design Ideas
Now that we have covered all the essential knowledge about eyebrow slits, lets navigate through some popular eyebrow cut designs that you are sure to love and might as well give a thought to.
- Single slit
- Double Slit
- Arrow Shaped Slit
Eyebrow Slit FAQs
Q- How to do an eyebrow cut?
To do an eyebrow cut:
Step 1: Brush out your eyebrow using a clean brow brush or spoolie.
Step 2: Choose a spot on your eyebrow where you want to place the slit.
Step 3: Carefully use two pieces of tape on either side of the exact spot where you want the slit.
Step 4: Use a razor or a trimmer to shave the place between the tape. Move your razor or trimmer in small motions to create the perfect eyebrow slit.
Q- How to hide an eyebrow cut?
To hide an eyebrow cut, use a brow pencil to shade the shaved area. You can also use a mascara and draw subtle strands of hair to add a realistic volume effect.
Q- What is the eyebrow cut called?
Eyebrow cuts are now called eyebrow slits although 'cuts' was the name first given to this style by the hip-hop community who came up with the idea of it.
Q- What do eyebrow slits mean?
Eyebrow cut meaning is a small vertical slit across your brow as a style statement or a form of self expression.
Q- Do eyebrow slits grow back normal?
Yes, eyebrow slits grow back to normal in a few weeks time.
Q- Who started the eyebrow cut trend?
The eyebrow cut trend was started by the hip-hop community back in the early 80s.
Q- What sides do eyebrow slits go on?
Eyebrow slits can go anywhere you like. Eyebrow slits are most commonly done near the end of the left brow.
Q- How do you do eyebrow slits with scissors?
No. Eyebrow slits are not meant do be done with scissors and scissors are not a safe object to use near the eye. Eyebrow slits can be done with trimmers and razors instead.
Q- How do you fix a slit in your eyebrow?
If you want to fix your eyebrow slit, you can simply let it grow back. For alternatives, you can use make-up products like mascara, eye shadows, eyebrow pencil, etc. to temporarily fix your eyebrow slit.
Q- Are eyebrow slits attractive?
Yes, eyebrow slits are one of the coolest trends among fashion enthusiasts who liketo keep it edgy and different. Eyebrow slits add a lot of edge and boldness to your statement.
Q- What do eyebrow slits represent?
If you have an eyebrow slit, you would most likely come off as a bold person with an edge to their style statement. However, eyebrow slits are often associated with gang affiliation or symbols.
Q- Are eyebrow slits bad?
No, as long as you find the correct tools and way to do it and are not associating it with gang signs.