9 Face Shapes And Top Hairstyles For Each - 2021
Updated At 22 May 21
Ever wondered what is your face shape and how to best identify it?
If so, then embark on this journey as we find out your face shape and most suited hairstyles that will help you accentuate your best features.
9 Different Face Shape Types
Discover your face shape by knowing the different face types out there.
An oblong face is longer than the width. The facial features consist of
- A round chin and jawline
- Forehead, jaw, and cheeks are equal in width
A rectangle-shaped face is a combination of two other shapes being oblong and square-shaped face. The length of the face is longer than the width. The facial features consist of
- a straight or horizontal hairline
- mostly like have a tall forehead
- a square-shaped jaw
- the sides of your face to follow a straight line from your jaw to your forehead
A round face has few to no angles. The width and length of the face are equal. The facial features consist of
- the forehead rounded at the hairline
- the cheekbones are the broadest part of the face
- a rounded jawline with very subtle angles
A square face is equal in width and length with very minimal curves to it. The facial features consist of
- straight or horizontal hairline
- the forehead, cheekbones, and jaw will be of the same width
- the sides of your face follow a straight line from your jaw to your forehead
5. Inverted Triangle
An inverted triangle-shaped face is broader at the top than the bottom. The facial features consist of
- a broad forehead
- jawline and chin are slender, and usually pointed
A heart-shaped face has a broad forehead and cheekbones. The length of the face is longer than the width and tapers down to a narrow jawline. The facial features consist of
- a widow’s peak
- a pointy chin
A diamond-shaped face is an angular version of the oval face and is known to have a prominent bone structure. The length of the face is about the same as the width. The facial features consist of
- a narrow forehead
- wide cheekbones
- a pointed or angular chin
A triangle-shaped face is also known as a pear-shaped face, where the bottom is wider than the top. The facial features consist of
- the forehead is narrow
- cheekbones are flatter and not as prominent
- the jaw is broader and angular
For an oval-shape face, the length appears to be 1.5 times larger than the width. The facial features consist of
- a tall forehead
- the cheekbones are prominent as it is the broadest part of the face
- a round jaw or chin
Let us move on to the next step that is to find out your face shape.
How To Find Your Face Shape?
Before you proceed with your face measurements, do the following
- Tie your hair back so you can see your entire face
- Use a flexible measuring tape
Now let us get down to measuring the four vital distances of your face
1. Forehead width: Measure the distance across your forehead from hairline to hairline
2. Cheekbone width: Measure from the outer corner of one eye to the other.
3. Jawline width: Measure the distance along the side of your jawline. Start from the base of your ear to the middle of your chin and multiply that number by two.
4. Face length: Measure from the center of your hairline till the tip of your chin.
Aside from measurements, facial features also play a vital role in figuring out your face shape.
Consider the angles and contours of your face to see whether they are prominent or not or soft or sharp.
Once you have gathered the measurements, start eliminating the face shapes that do not align with your facial characteristics.
Now that you have followed the above two methods to determine your face shape.
Let us look at the celebrities that share your face shape along with the best-suited hairstyles for your face type.
Best Hairstyles For Different Face Shapes
- The aim while styling your hair is to add width to minimize the length of the face
- Hairstyles that are short to medium in length is best suited for this face type
- If you opt for a long hairstyle, ensure to go for layered styles with wavy and curly textures
- Straight bangs with side parts work best
Celebrities with an oblong-shaped face, sporting hairstyles best fitted for their facial characteristics:
- Tyra banks - Straight bangs
- Eva Mendes - Short length hair with side parting
- Julia Roberts - Medium length hair with layers
- The focus while styling your hair should be to soften the appearance of your sharp features
- Avoid overly long hairstyles that may further lengthen your face visually
- Rounded fringes and curtain bangs work well
- As for updos, high buns and sleek lock are perfect
Celebrities with a rectangle-shaped face:
- Joan smalls – Rounded fringes
- Jessica Simpson - High bun
- Gisele Bundchen - Short length hair with side parting
- The focus when styling your hair should be to add length to your face, hence stay away from sleek hairstyles as they can ruin your look
- No matter what hairstyle you choose, ensure to leave elongated looks by the sides of your face
- If you are considering bangs, avoid straight bangs as the horizontal line widens your face visually and opt for side bangs as the diagonal line makes your face longer visually
- If you want a curly look, opt for loose curls rather than tight curls as it will add to the width of your face.
- Adding volume to the crown of your head makes your face look longer visually
- Avoid ponytails as it pulls your head back, accentuating the width of your face.
- You can also spice your hairstyle with hair colours, highlights, or coloured hair tips
Celebrities with a round face:
- Elizabeth Olsen - Middle parted loose waves
- Adele - Curled under lob
- Mila Kunis - Long hair with layers
- The object of the hairstyle is to soften the sharp and prominent angles of this face type.
- Select a hairstyle that will enhance your cheekbones instead of your jawline
- For hair colour, either opt for ombre or highlights
Celebrities with a square-shaped face:
- Lea Michel - Long hair with lots of layers
- Katie Holmes - Side-parted style
- Olivia Wilde - Side-swept bangs
5. Inverted Triangle
- The focus of the hairstyle is to make the forehead appear less wide
- Avoid thick rounded bangs and blunt bangs
Celebrities with an inverted triangle face:
- Rashida Jones - Long side-swept bangs
- Jennifer Love Hewitt - Half-up
- Scarlett Johansson - Pixie cut
- The aim is to balance the face shape with a hairstyle that decreases the brow width and increases the width of the jawline visually
- Hairstyles that length of the collarbone or shoulders work well with this face frame
- Avoid short bangs
Celebrities featuring hairstyles for heart-shaped face:
- Kat Graham - Long hair face-framing layers
- Kourtney Kardashian - High bun
- Kerry Washington – Ponytails
- Aim to soften the sharp angles of the face with a soft look that will help broaden the forehead and jawline visually
- Avoid thick rounded bangs, straight bangs, and middle partings
- Avoid an updo or hairstyle that will create height at the top of your hair, giving the illusion that the face is longer than it is
Celebrities with a diamond-shaped face:
- Anna Kendrick - Ponytail
- Halle Berry - Chin-length bob
- Megan Fox - Long layered cut worn with waves and a deep side part
- The focus is to minimize the bottom-heavy feature of the face by balancing out the jaw
- Avoid straight bob cuts that enhance your jawline
- Avoid full bangs and long side bangs
Celebrities with a triangle-shaped face
- Kelly Osbourne - Pixie cut short side-swept
- Bette Midler - Light and wispy styles
- Sophia Bush – Medium length hair with layers
- As oval faces are well balanced in shape, a wide variety of hairstyles suit this face type.
- For an impactful look opt for either a long or short crop haircut
- If you choose a long hairstyle, style your hair with waves or curls to keep it from lengthening your face visually
Celebrities with an oval-shape face
- Jessica Alba - Blunt lob
- Jessica Biel - Curtain bangs
- Julianne Moore - Long wavy curls
Hoping you found your face type and your celebrity match, do let us know your discovery in the comments.