What Are Face Serums and How To Choose The Best One For Your Skin?
Updated At 12 Sep 22
As we move towards a healthier lifestyle, we’re also paying more attention to skincare than before. We’re being introduced to a number of new products and techniques and honestly it can be a little overwhelming. But one product that has stuck around for a while and proven to be effective is the facial serum.
Know what are face serums and how to choose the best one for your skin.
What is a serum?
A serum basically is a skincare product that is a made of concentrated active ingredients. It usually targets specific concerns like wrinkles and contains some strong ingredients. Since the ingredient molecules here are small, they can directly penetrate your skin.
How are they different from moisturizers and oils?
This is probably the first question that occurs to us. While the ingredients in these products might be the same, serums are easier to absorb and they penetrate the skin deeper than the epidermis. Unlike moisturizers and oils, which are cream and oil based, serums are water based and thus more hydrating.
COASTSYDNEYBOTANICALS / INSTAGRAM
How to select a serum?
Like most skincare products, there are two main things to consider when selecting a serum: your focus point and your skin type.
Your focus point would be the skin problem that you’re trying to tackle like dullness, for which antioxidants do wonders, or something that you want to attain like a bright skin.
Secondly, your skin type plays a very important role in this decision as well.
- If you have oily skin that is prone to acne you should find something with Salicylic acid, Retinols, Vitamin C and Zinc.
- If you have dry skin you could try something with Hydraulic acid and Vitamin E.
- For normal skin, you can choose a product with Glycolic acid.
However, as mentioned before, serums are concentered with string ingredients and may not always suit you, especially if you have sensitive skin Good practice is to do a patch-test before you try it on your face.
How to use serums in your skincare routine?
You can use a serum twice a day, in your daytime and night routine. Use it after your cleanse and tone your face, right before your moisturizer. Gently massage the product in upward strokes on your face and neck and then continue with the rest of your routine. Use a pea-sized amount and apply it using two fingers only so as to not waste any. Be very gentle with the area around your eyes and use a gentle patting motion.
What are the benefits of serum?
There are a number of benefits of using a facial serum:
- They help reduce discoloration of the skin, spots and scars.
- They help with reduction of open pores thus reducing blackheads and whiteheads.
- Vitamin C in serums improves the elasticity of the skin and makes in firmer and youthful.
- There are serums that help with lines and wrinkles.
- They can help reducing redness, dryness and inflammation.
- Under eye serums help reducing fine lines and dark circles.
Now that you know everything about the serums, its time you include them in your skincare routine.